Inclusion @ NMS
Provision for Determined Ones
At NMS, we endeavor that Determined Students also have equal access to quality education and become independent, valued, competent, skilled members of the school as well as the wider community.
The inclusion department at NMS is supported by, teachers, learning support assistants, specialist staff (including the external therapist like speech, occupational and psychologist), Senior Leadership Team, Inclusion Governor and parents.
Processes to support the Determined Ones include:
- Identification through informal assessment and observation feedback.
- Individual Education/Behaviour Plans and Student Passport with strategies to support the learning environment of the students.
- Pull-out sessions targeting specific learning support.
- In-class support to ensure the determined students are making progress during lessons.
- Occupational and Speech and Language Therapy by specialists.
- Regular consultation with parents.
- Achievement Centre and Sensory Room – A well-equipped resource room to facilitate fine motor, literacy and numeracy skills and nurture sensory skills.
Click here to read/download the Dubai Inclusive education policy framework (2017)
Giftedness and Talent @ NMS
At NMS, we have adopted the differentiated model of Giftedness and Talent, developed by Françoys Gagné (2008), where by the terms ‘Giftedness and Talent’ are identified as, “Giftedness designates the possession and use of outstanding natural abilities, called aptitudes, in at least one ability domain, to a degree that places a person at least among the top 10% of age peers”. Professor Gagné defines six domains of giftedness: intellectual, creative, social, perceptual, muscular and motor control.
“Talent designates the outstanding mastery of systematically developed abilities, called competencies (knowledge and skills), in at least one field of human activity to a degree that places a person at least among the top 10% of age peers who are or have been active in that field.”
More information on Giftedness and Talent: